D SPORTS RACER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE NOTES
- 5:06 PM, working lap 1, GREEN. No. 82 Duder into the lead. No. 97
Colburn spins, contacts guard rail in turn six and continues.
- 5:07 PM, working lap 2, the top-five are No. 82, No. 7 Reupert, No.
13 Sunseri, No. 45 Beasley Jr., and No. 96 Hoover.
- 5:09 PM, working lap 3, good battle for third between No. 13 and No.
45. No. 45 takes several looks but cannot pass.
- 5:15 PM, working lap 6, No. 44 Beasley Sr. suffers suspension
failure and spins off the track.
- 5:21 PM, working lap 10, No. 7 pulls right under the wing of No. 82
as the two move through traffic.
- 5:22 PM, working lap 11, No. 45 into third past No. 13.
- 5:24 PM, working lap 13, No. 13 sounds off song but continues on.
- 5:29 PM, working lap 17, No. 45 has caught the lead duo. It is a
three-car battle for the lead. No. 7 gets sideways in turn seven, but
- 5:32 PM, working lap 18, No. 45 into second in the carousel.
- 5:33 PM, working lap 19, WHITE flag for No. 82 Duder, but No. 45 and
No. 7 are right behind.
- 5:34 PM, CHECKERED flag for No. 82 Duder, followed by No. 45
Beasley, No. 7 Reupert, No. 13 Sunseri and No. 16 Dyckman. This is
Duder's fifth National Championship – his first since the Runoffs moved
DSR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RACE QUOTESMICHAEL REUPERT
concentrating on trying to get by Duder. Then Al Beasley Jr got inside me
and pushed me off my line so I had to get out of it and he got past. The
car ran well, it really was balanced and the engine was strong, but I just
couldn't get them on the straights. I could stay with Duder in the draft,
but when I was out of the draft I lost a lot of ground.
AL BEASLEY JR.
I needed one more lap. I was going 100% and
saw an opening with Reupert and took it. I was just behind Duder, but the
laps ran out. I didn't have the greatest straightaway speed so I had to
drive like a mad man. Traffic was there, but it wasn't a problem.
The car ran well. I ran a new motor this weekend
and it was strong. I was here earlier this year and ran the Mid Ohio
school. It worked, because I was two seconds faster than last year. I
drove hard all race. I wore my mirrors out watching the guys right behind
me. I bobbled a couple times but so did Mike. We really wore each other
out--it was a hard race.
© Copyright 1998, SCCA, Inc.